Celebrate Mother’s Day Downtown in a Creative New Way!
FORT WAYNE, IN- For the last four years, the Downtown improvement District has been pleased to bring you a wonderful day of celebrating mom in Downtown Fort Wayne. This year, in consideration of Federal and State recommendations and restrictions to reduce the number of persons in a gathering and with the safety of our staff, business owners and event attendees in mind, we regret to announce that Mother’s Day Downtown trolleys will not be operating for Mother’s Day 2020.
While we must cancel the traditional programming of the event, we remind you that DTFW is still the best place to find an excellent gift or experience for mom. By purchasing gifts and gift cards online, you join us in answering “the call” to ensure that your favorite boutiques, restaurants, and venues weather this storm and are still here and standing tall for next year’s Mother’s Day celebration. Please keep checking our website at DowtownFortWayne.com for shopping, dining, arts and culture information updates.
It is important to keep traditions like celebrating mom in distressed times. We have come up with some great ideas to help you! Using the suggestions like the ones below and with just a little preparation and planning, you too can create a very special Mother’s Day Downtown this year from your own home. Here are a few tips to get you started:
· Plan a “themed” Mother’s Day party in your living room and purchase gifts that you can use as décor: for example: flowers from Cottage Flowers, spring décor from Smiley’s Joy and a martini shaker from The Find.
· Order carry out or Waiter on the Way delivery from your favorite DTFW restaurant and create an upscale picnic in your backyard. Don’t forget to order dessert from Zinnia’s Bakehouse.
· Sweeten up mom’s day by sending her a basket of treats from Snickle & Fritz Candy Emporium, and some chocolate and coffee from Creative Women of the World.
· Using homemade musical instruments, have your kids perform a concert for Grandma, then surprise her with tickets to a live show at the Embassy or Civic Theater.
· Rent an online movie from Cinema Center to watch while munching on popcorn from Poptique.
· Cast our 360 Virtual Tour on your tv screen at home and virtually “walk through” Downtown together to plan your next visit.
· PLAN AHEAD. Place orders early to allow for shipping or delivery times to be confirmed.
We are so proud to be a part of this spectacular city. While we are disappointed that Mother’s Day Downtown will not be produced as usual this year, we are certain that in true Fort Wayne fashion, the spirit of our community will continue to rise and we will come back even stronger and more vibrant than before. We are all in this together!